Currently Obsessed With is a once-a-month (but sometimes more) feature where I talk about my favorite things from the last month.
Let’s took a look at what happened last month!
August was a little bit of a crafty month for me!
I made my own Harry Potter wand…and as much as I love Harry Potter, this is my first wand. It’s not fancy at all, but it did the trick for a Harry Potter party I went to. I followed this tutorial, and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I used knitting needles, because I, for some bizarre reason, have knitting needles. It makes no sense, considering I don’t knit, but at least I put them to good use. I ending up making two, because I have no use for two, much less one.
I did, however, learn that it’s important to read the directions on the bottles of paint. When you need a wand for the next day, it’s probably a good idea to NOT BUY PAINT THAT NEEDS 7 DAYS TO AIR CURE. Because that’s what I ended up doing…and as I didn’t have 7 days, I found myself making a trip to Wal-Mart. Mostly because by that point, Michael’s was closed and Wal-Mart is open 24 hours. I definitely made sure I got some fast-drying paint. They turned out pretty well, all things considered. And now I want to do more crafts. As much as I love crochet, I think I want to branch out a little. I’m open to suggestions!
I didn’t do a lot of crocheting last month, mostly because I haven’t been in a crocheting mood. The only thing I really want to work on is my blanket, and it’s still too hot for that. Maybe in another month or two, I’ll be able to work on it again.
I didn’t buy a lot of books this month- just The Beauty Of Darkness, which I also got signed! I particularly liked this post about the signing event, which goes into a lot more detail about some of the questions she was asked.
As for my Audible pick, I got Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel. I feel like I’ve seen it mentioned before, and I tried reading it in print, but that didn’t work for me, so I figured I’d go for the audio. I have a feeling it’s going to work better as a audio book for me.
I did not see Suicide Squad, mostly because I somehow forgot, and then when I remembered, I got lazy. So there was no movie-going in August but maybe I’ll get to see something this month!
I finished Royal Pains, which I really liked. I also watched Stranger Things in one day, which wasn’t hard, since there’s only 1 season, and it has only 8 episodes. I kind of want to re-watch it already because it is sooooo good! I also started watching The Ghost Whisperer, because it seemed to be the only thing I was in the mood for.
I also watched the Olympics. Well, some of it. Normally, I watch as much of it as I can, but for some reason, I didn’t really do that this year, which is weird for me.
Around The Internet:
I really like this post about periods in YA.
Why YA Needs Quitters. This blog post makes some really good points.
Why Romance Readers Love Reading Digitally. I only read romance very sporadically, but I can relate to a lot of the points listed.
The Differences Between Sex & Violence In YA. I’m not a parent, but I thought it was an interesting post, and there’s a lot that I don’t think about because I’m not a parent.
Speaking of parenting, these picture books would make some great gifts for parents.
Now I want to re-read The Baby-Sitters Club. It makes me wish I had held onto my old BSC and Sweet Valley books.
I made banana bread! King Arthur Flour never lets me down.
I wholeheartedly agree with this list of things you should not say to romance readers.
I think quiet/underestimated characters are important, but they get overlooked a lot.
Things That Happened In August:
- The Beauty Of Darkness book signing. I already mentioned it, but it was fun to go to, and I love hearing authors talk about their book and their writing process.
- The Harry Potter Party! There was a lot of Harry Potter-related awesomeness for a while there, and this party was a good way to end it. It was super-relaxed and super-crafty, and now I have some cool crafts in my room. And there’s nothing like watching Harry Potter with other HP fans.
Things I’m Looking Forward To In September:
- The people behind Welcome To Night Vale are coming to San Diego to sign the two new Night Vale books! The scripts from the first couple of years are being released in book form, along with illustrations and behind-the-scenes stuff, and I’m looking forward to going, because I am a huge Night Vale fan.
- Getting ready for NaNoWriMo. Which isn’t until November, but I have a few ideas in mind, and I’m not sure what I’m writing yet. I definitely need to start outlining those projects, and I’m hoping I won’t be too lazy to actually do it. I might have to go to the library, since I seem to get a lot of work done there.
- River by Bishop Briggs. I cannot stop listening to this song.
- Castle by Halsey. This is another one I’ve been listening to a lot. There’s something haunting about the song.
That’s all for today! I hope today is a good one for everyone!