Book Talk is a sporadic feature where I talk about non-book review bookish things.
I’ve been thinking about the library a lot lately. Partly because of this post, but also because I’ve been going to the library a lot lately.
There are times where I use the library a lot, but then I also have times where I hardly use the library at all. I mostly go to check books, and I generally don’t utilize anything else the library offers, but libraries are really important and there are reasons why they are awesome.
I love that I can check out books, which one of the main reasons why I go to the library. Here are some other reasons why I love the library:
- I really like that I can take a chance on a book- with the library, I don’t feel like I wasted my money if I end up not liking a book, and with just browsing, I can pick up stuff that I’ve never heard of.
- If I’m looking for a particular book on a certain subject, the library is a great place to start.
- I don’t really check out crochet books or cookbooks, but the library is a good place to get them, because I can see if it’s something I want to buy.
- And of course, I can do e-books and audio books (both CD’s and MP3’s) in addition to print books.
- Also, one of the branches of the Chula Vista library has an area dedicated to Chula Vista history, if I ever wanted to learn more about that.
- I don’t check out music and DVD’s, but it’s good to have that as an option. Especially with movies.
The Library As A Work/Reading Space:
The library is one of my favorite places to go if I need/want to get some writing or blogging done. Or even crochet, because I’ve done that a few time! Here are some reasons why:
- I feel like the library is a better option to camp out if I need to. The library has more outlets, comfortable chairs, and it’s a cheaper option in comparison to coffee shops/cafés, because I don’t have to keep buying food/coffee to warrant my stay there. If I need a snack or something to drink, the library I go to the most has vending machines.
- The library is a good place to stay cool. This is especially helpful during the summer, when your A/C decides to stop working and isn’t fixed yet.
- It’s quiet. I don’t mind the noise of Starbucks or Panera, but there is something nice about how quiet the library is.
- For whatever reason, I’m a lot more productive at the library then I am anywhere else.
- If I need to look something up, the library will probably have at least one book related to whatever the topic is, and I go get it from the shelves.
- On an unrelated note: I love key-chain library cards. It’s a lot easier pulling out my keys than my wallet and trying to find the right library card.
- I love that I can donate my old books to the library. I’ve randomly been culling my print books, and dropping them off the next time I’m at the library.
- They have a lot of random events and services- from film forums to helping people with taxes to enrolling people in health insurance to book sales, there’s all sorts of things to do!
I could probably go on and on about why I love the library, but I think I’ll keep it to what I’ve already talked about, because I’m not in a super-rambly mood right now. But who knows? Maybe I’ll do another post about why libraries are awesome.
I hope everyone has a lovely day!