Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely folks over at The Broke And The Bookish. Every week, bloggers share their own bookish top ten lists based on the topic of the week. You can check out Ten Tuesdays here.
Top Ten Hyped Books I’ve Never Read
So…hyped books. I have a tendency to not like them if people love them, and I have a tendency to love them if people don’t like them. Either way, they make me nervous. (It was far easier than I thought to come up with 10, but I also knew I had to cut myself off at ten books, otherwise we’d have a super-long list). Here are ten hyped books I’ve never read.
The Ones I Couldn’t Finish, No Matter How Hard I Tried
- The Princess Bride. To be fair, I tried reading The Princess Bride because a friend loves it but actually finishing it was a massive fail…all because I saw the movie first. Seriously. I do talk more about it here, if you’re curious about why I couldn’t get through it.
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. My expectations were way too high, and the narrator was a little too quirky and different for me. You can see my thoughts here.
- Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson. It seems like people love this book, but the verse didn’t work for me, because in the part that I read before giving up, I felt like I was getting random memories, instead of the story of her life.
The Ones I Want To Read And Own But Haven’t Read Yet
- The Pennyroyal Green series by Julie Ann Long. I have quite a few of the books in this series, but I have yet to read any of them.
- It’s Kind Of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. I have it, and have had it for years, but I have yet to read it. I hope it’s as good as everyone says it is.
- The Madman’s Daughter by Megan Shepherd. People seem to like it, and I want to know what they’re talking about!
- Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. I don’t know that I can handle another Shadowhunter series anytime soon, but maybe one day?
- The Miseducation Of Cameron Post by Emily Danforth. It seems like a popular book, and something I’d like. Plus, the fact that it’s come up in at least one or two stories about book banning makes me even more curious.
- The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. I know I’ve seen it on a bunch of Top Ten Tuesday lists, which I think is how I heard about it in the first place, but I really want to know what all of the talk is about.
The One I Don’t Own But Want To Read
- House Of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. I’ve heard it’s weird and creepy and it seems like a book I’d like.
4 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Hyped Books I’ve Never Read”
The Madman’s Daughter was good. I actually liked The Book Thief, but I read it before the hype.
Thanks for sharing!
Here’s my TTT
My $30 giveaway ends soon so check it out.
I think the hype was a big reason why I couldn’t get into The Book Thief, but I can sort of see why people love it!
I haven’t read any of those. I have always wanted to read The Princess Bride but that is just cause I love the movie so much. I hate to say it I’m kind of scared to ruin the movie by reading the book. Which are words I never thought I would say. This is just one of those cases where the movie holds a special place in my heart. Normally it is always the book before the movie but nope this time I gotta go with the movie. Make sense?
That totally makes sense! Usually, I have a good experience with both, no matter what order I go in, and it was the only time where seeing the movie made reading the book weird. But I also get why people love the book too.