Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely folks over at The Broke And The Bookish. Every week, bloggers from all over share their own top ten list based on the topic of the week. You can find all Top Ten Tuesdays here.
Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Come To Romance In Books
This is a great topic for Valentine’s week, and as much as I love romance, it was harder than I thought it would be, even splitting the list between things I like and dislike.
What I Like:
- Forbidden Romance- there’s something about a relationship being forbidden that I really like.
- 2 characters who are in an established relationship at the start of the book. Not always, of course, but generally speaking, I like it. I’m not completely sure why I like it, but sometimes it’s nice to read about characters who are already together. That being said…
- …I also like seeing characters fall in love. What is it about brand-new love that’s so fun to read?
- People who were sworn enemies before dating. I just love this! Especially when they finally admit to liking each other.
- Opposites attract! Sometimes, it’s much more fun and interesting to read.
What I Dislike:
- The love triangle. I have a love-hate relationship with love triangles, and I go back and forth on how I feel about them. My biggest reason for not liking them is that a lot of times, it’s there just to add conflict and tension and feels utterly useless.
- Lack of chemistry. Lately, I feel like there’s no spark between the couples in the romances I’ve been reading. Seriously, it’s like, why are they even together? I mainly have this as separate from insta-love, because they haven’t been cases of insta-love.
- Speaking of Insta-love…it does get annoying. I know I’m not the only Even if/when I like the couple later on in the book, I still like all of the build-up and tension and not something that happens instantly.
- The whole I love you but need to stay away from you thing. We all know the couple is going to end up together in the end. Why prolong it?
- Couples who were best friends before dating. I don’t know why, but I tend to get bored with it. I can see why people like it but it’s generally not my thing.