I got the idea for this post after discovering that Rachel Caine (one of my new favorite authors) wrote out a playlist of the music that got her through Undone.
I honestly don’t pay too much attention to what other authors listen to when writing. Like, I like making playlists for all my NaNo novels. And while authors might mention a band or two in the aknowledgements or something, it was the first time I had actually seen an author post a song by song list. So when Unknown was available for download from the library, the first thing I did was check to see if she had a playlist at the end of the book. She did, so I’ll have to check it out.
But for now, let’s focus on the Undone playlist. What’s cool is that all of the songs I’ve heard fit the book really well. Here are some of the songs, and my thoughts:
- Life Is Beautiful by Sixx: A.M. First, I love the name of the band (or what I assume to be the name of the band). And it’s one of my new favorite songs.
- Citizen/Soldier by 3 Doors Down. It’s been forever since I’ve listened to them, but I just love how the song sounds.
- Give It Up by LCD Soundsystem: This is such a fun song! It makes me want to dance awkwardly. And, for some bizarre reason, learn how to play the guitar.
- Believe by The Bravery. This is actually a good song to get lost in. And relax to.
- Tess Don’t Tell by Ivy. I love how this song sounds, and I love having it on in the background. I need to see if she has anything else available so I can check it out.
- Everybody Got Their Something by Nikka Costa. Another current favorite that makes me want to sing along.
And I really can’t want to check out some of the ones from Unknown. I think I even have a few of them, but the thing I like the most is that I’ve discovered a lot of music I’ve never heard before. And I’ll even have the chance to check out some people I’ve heard of but never actually listened to before.
I’m really fascinated with this, because it’s always interesting to see what music authors listen to, and what music gets them through their novel-writing process. To see what inspires them or their novels.
I don’t think I’ll be looking for what music authors listen to, but I will be paying more attention to it…if I happen to come across it. Especially because music and writing go so well together.
Stayed tuned for a Top 10 Tuesday post tomorrow!